NightSkySecrets have been conducting astronomy tours & presentations across northern Australia since 2009. Our specialty is tours featuring an aboriginal perspective on the southern skies.
*** The 2017 Tour Season is set to start with the New Moon on Wednesday the 19th of April - contact us for tour details and bookings ***
Tours are also conducted to coincide with special celestial events such as planetary conjunctions, Comets, Nova Stars and more. So come along on one of our unique tours and delve deep into the hidden mysteries of the Southern Sky. Our seasonal tours are run in Far North Qld from May until November each year & are naturally weather dependant. Available Tour Dates are from 3 days after the full moon to 3 days after the new moon to give an essentially moonless sky & the deep sky observing
opportunities that brings.
- * Aboriginal Astronomy Stories and Lore
- * Revealing hidden Nebula, Galaxies, Star Clusters & Planets with large aperture telescopes & a guided tour.
- * A meal shared at sunset.
- * Viewing from our dark sky outback location, 1hr from Cairns City.
- * Tours cater for the curious, through to the experienced Astronomer seeking to see the delights of our Australian skies.
- * Tours are Either self Drive Tag-a-long with a meeting point on the tablelands near Kay Rd off the Kennedy Hwy between Kuranda and Mareeba (see Attached Map), or pick up from your accommodation at around 5pm returning to Cairns by 10:30pm
Prices*: Adults: $120 Children: $60 (6-15 y.o)
* Self drive, group and family concessions available - (all tours are weather dependant)
Map for self Drive tour meeting point:
You can contact us - call us on 07 4000 4091 - or see us in Store at The Pier Cairns 7 days a week.
Some of our current & past Clients include:
- Cairns Hinterland Stiener School
- Sunlover Cruises - Sunlover by Starlight
- The Capta Group - RainForest Station
- Kanjini Community FNQ
- Yothu Yindi Foundation
- Northern Beaches & Edge Hill Scouts
- Whitfield State School
- Eclipse Chasers for the 2012 Cairns Total Eclipse
- Peace Lutheran College (Cairns)
- Nhulunbuy Christian college
- Nhulunbuy High School
- 3 Rivers Foundation
- Wallaby Creek Festival Association
- Laynhapuy Homeland's association
We have conducted Astronomy tours each year since 2009 at the World renowned Garma Festival of Indigenous culture in North East Arnhemland for the Yothu Yindi Foundation, with over 400 people taken on on tours most years. We have also conducted personalised tours for individuals, couples, school groups, scout groups, medical students & many more interest groups.
If you are planning a tour around astronomy viewing, it is best conducted around the time of the "New Moon" each month. This is from 4 days after the full moon to 4 days after the New Moon. This is for the dark skies this gives, allowing faint Galaxies and Nebula to be seen. Tours are conducted with 8" - 10" or 12" reflecting telescopes typically, but we can customise this for specialist tours for Astrophotography or Very Large Aperture viewing upon request.
We welcome your enquiry for one of our regular tours or your specialised astronomy tour or presentation.
To see our latest Tours please go here